Timing Question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Timing Question
From: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 09:52:42 -0500
Hi All,

I've had my new project B for about a month now and it is progressing
nicely. Yesterday, with the arrival of my rebuilt carbs, I was finaly able
to drive it. After it was hot, I put my timing light on the car (vac
advance hose off and plugged), and the timing mark jumped around
considerably. There is also an intermittent (sp?) miss that is most
pronounced at idle. (Also, the idle speed won't stay put.) The ignition
parts are all good, so I'm thinking: worn distributor and/or worn timing
gear and/or chain. Any other suggestions? How involved is checking the
timing running gear? How does one check the distributor and what parts need
to be replaced if it is found to be "out of whack?" Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Alan Lott
GTA Dept of RSE
Auburn University

'71 MGB (rolling restoration)

"Diplomacy is the ability to let other people have things your way."