Re: Timing Question

To: lottala@mail.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: Timing Question
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 13:19:42 EDT
Hi Alan,
  Removing the distrib. rotor and then trying to wiggle the shaft with
your fingers will pretty much tell the tale.  If it wiggles more than
just perciptibly there's excess wear.
Another way to check it is to hook up a dwell meter. Although this may
skip around a bit at idle, it should smooth out to a steady reading at
1200 rpm or so.  One doesn't particularly care if that happens at idle
speed, only if at operating speeds.
  There was a thread on the net a month or so past about setting the
total spark advance. If you missed it, post the question again. General
opinion is that factory settings didn't advance the spark nearly far
enough.
  I'll pass on testing for wear in the timing chain system. One uses a
degree wheel, but I have never done it.
Bob