Re: FW: New `B' owner with questions

To: sb@centralperk.com
Subject: Re: FW: New `B' owner with questions
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 21:39:33 EDT
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:21:16 -0600 (MDT) Mark J Bradakis
<mjb@autox.team.net> writes:

>[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Scott
>Beattie <sb@centralperk.com>]]
>
>     Date: Wed,  3 Sep 97 21:21:26 EST5EDT
>     From: Scott Beattie <sb@centralperk.com>
>     Subject: New `B' owner with questions
>

>Hi All,
>
>First I will apologize for not knowing the answer to these simple
>questions.
>
>1.  Blinkers on the car stopped flashing.  Checked bulbs, seem O.K so
>ecide it must be the flasher unit.  So I swap with hazzard flasher.
>blinkers work again.  Buy new flasher and reconnect.  When I attempt
>to use
>the blinkers, nothing except a clicking noise from the flasher unit.
>What
>have I done wrong.
>
>2.  Where should the temp gauge be reading when driving the car.  I am
>used
>to cars that barely move above one quarter.  In the B it is a little
>below
>half.  When the car is in traffic or on the ferry (stopped with motor
>running) it heats up so I turn the extra fan on and it seems to go not
>a lot
>further than half way.  Is this normal.  I don't use the car often
>(scared I
>might break something) and  don't want to drive around Sydney's goat
>tracks
>at 5pm with the possibility of cooking the motor.
>
>3.  The seats (both) don't want to recline so they stay in the usual
>position.  Both seats have a lever (chrome) on the side but when you
>move
>them nothing happens.
>
>Any suggesttions would be great.  Thanks in advance
>
>Scott Beattie (Sydney, AUSTRALIA)
>
>79 MGB roadster (ex U.K model)

Scott,
  1.   It is possible that you have a "normal" turn signal flasher in the
hazard circuit.  It needs to be a "heavy Duty" flasher, as the current
passing through it is higher than the normal turn signal circuit.

2.   Sounds like your temp is about right.  That's almost an identical
description of my 72 B's with the exception of my not having electric
fans. The mid point is "normal" or about 180 degrees, so yours is running
at about 170 or so. Sounds like you have a 165 thermostat. I use the same
and that's about where my gauge settles.  It is not unusual for the temp
to rise when the engine has been shut off, especially on a warm day.  The
coolant is picking up heat from the still warm block and because it isn't
circulating, the coolant temp will rise. As soon as you crank the engine,
the temp will start back down to normal.

3.   A lot of time's the seat recliner get's stuck, especially if they
aren't used for long periods, and most aren't. They are set by the driver
and then not moved.  To operate them, grasp the top of the seat back, and
move the lever to the rear while pushin/pulling the seat back. Hold
pressure on the lever, and when the mechanism loosens, you'll feel the
lever move slightly.  If you can't get it loose that way, you may have to
remove the seat back and peal back the seat cover a few inches to allow
you to access the recliner lock. Lube everything well and all should be
alright.

  Hope this helps
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT