RE: Overdrive on 77 MGB

To: "Tom McLaughlin" <tomm@ti.com>, "Tom McLaughlin" <tomm@ti.com>,
Subject: RE: Overdrive on 77 MGB
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 97 13:17:05 UT
1. Unlikely that it is the switch but check it to rule this out.  To check the
switch, engage the overdrive switch while the ignition is turned on.  Under
the hood to the upper left side of the engine compartment you should be able
to find a yellow wire that goes from the main wiring harness to the
transmission tunnel (if you cannot find a yellow wire check a wiring diagram
to determine which is the correct wire from switch to OD solenoid).  With the
switch on, this wire should be hot and, of course, not hot when the switch is
off.
2. After ruling out the switch, make sure you have a good electrical
connection to the solenoid (that's the same wire but check it right before it
goes to the solenoid in the OD unit).
3. If it's not electrical then check to make sure your tranny has the proper
amount of oil as low oil could cause the symptoms you describe - however, this
is also unlikely.
4. Well, if it's not electrical and it's not low oil, it's probably the pump
and I'm still working on getting mine fixed.

Hey, I've been there.

Dr. Doug
A gathering of 69 MGs in my garage experimenting with some new chemical
compounds.