From the Tr***ph list (MGA)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: From the Tr***ph list (MGA)
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 20:11:54 -0400 (EDT)
I thought I'd pass this on to anyone looking for an MGA.  If interested,
 contact John Cowan   jfcowan@earthlink.net

Scott Helms
---------
John's message below:

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 00:01:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: I test drive an MGA

   Before I laid down money on the new TR-4A, I felt morally obligated to
take a ride in an MG.  A local dealer had two beauties for sale for $12000.
 Interiors seemed original, with the soft patina of age.  Everything was
perfect and they gleamed like diamonds in the sun.  One was a green 1600
with wire wheels and the other a red 1500 with solid wheels. They were the
same price because "a lot of people like red cars".
   I chose the green one.  The dealer loved the car with all his heart.  It
had a bad synchro into second gear and needed to be babied.  My TR-3 has a
bad one into third, but tip-toeing around second is a much more irritating
proposition.  The car is smaller than my 3 or 4, but the sight line through
the windshield is better.  The car handled nicely in S turns, but the
engine literally sounded like a sewing machine and I couldn't stand the
thought of having to baby that second gear, so I thanked him heartily and
split.
   On the way home, it dawned on me what was going on.  These beauties
weren't to drive. Otherwise, why would he sell one without fixing the
tranny?  They were to be seen in!  They were to own for their beauty and to
enjoy it, moving, from the cockpit.  That is not what I wanted, certainly
not for twelve grand.  Besides, my 3 is a little bit like that anyway.  It
looks better than it drives.
  So I opted instead for the junk yard dog TR-4A that doesn't look like
much, but runs like a bandit.
  The As are still out there and down to $11K in case you long to be seen
in a beautiful car.

John Cowan