Rebuild in Progress

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rebuild in Progress
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 00:56:23 +0000
Well, I went by the mechanic's today to look at the engine now that
it's back from the machinist's and all clean.  I had no idea that the
block would come out of the hot tank so pretty!  Almost a shame to
paint it, but I'm sure that unprotected iron would get that nice
"rust patina" in no time.
        When he reassembled the head with the new exhaust valves, he
realized that the valve seats (original non-hardened) were a little
too worn for his conscience, so he sent the head back to the machine
shop to have hardened valve seats put in.  Does anyone know what this
normally costs?  I don't really mind the additional expense, since
I'm into this for $1600 already, but my wife was curious.
        Oh, I had promised a few people that I would tell them what I
thought of the new Piper 270 cam when I got the car back.  Looking at
the original cam that came out of the engine, I realize now that it
won't be a fair comparison.  Turns out what I thought of as a "nice,
lumpy idle" was the result of four flattened cam lobes.  With all the
new parts, I can hardly wait to see how she runs.  In the meantime,
though, enjoy the sun this weekend for me!

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner