Re: (NC) SMTP and Kai being pigheaded and ill informed

To: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: (NC) SMTP and Kai being pigheaded and ill informed
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 21:02:44 -0400
Kai Radicke wrote:
> SMTP is responsible for sending the email, not receiving it.

  SMTP is a Mail Transport Protocol. (that's what the MTP part is)

  A protocol is like a language. Both ends have to speak it
for anything to happen. It's a silly statement to
say that SMTP is for sending mail, but not for
receiving it. That's like saying English is used
for talking, French is used for listening.

> Yes it is done in real time, but numerous factors effect the time it takes.

  Kai, you don't know what real time means. Scary,
since it's such a focal word in the computer industry
and you consider yourself computer-savvy.

  Mail is either basically instantaneous, or it is
delayed. By delayed, it means the mail transfer
didn't happen, it was requeued, and will be tried
again later.

  There is no situation where packets are out there
as mail just waiting to show up somewhere. Like
a conversation, either we have one, or we don't. I
can't speak, then leave the room, and you can get
the message sometime later.

> check out nitrous.digex.net , and there is some info there for newbies to
> Internet technology...and a nice little script they implemented called
> "traceroute"...learn how to use it, it can be your friend!

  You know the extreme surface layer of the knowledge,
but almost refuse that there is even any more than
the obvious. It's like you read the cover of
the tech manual, and then deny that there is
any more knowledge inside than what you
read off the cover.

  You seem to like analogies, even if yours are
innaccurate.

  This is how the SMTP protocol works. The text
have the english version, the brackets are the
actual SMTP commands.

  If you type the SMTP commands, you can create
an email of your own using the SMTP language. I
highly suggest you try it, open a telnet client and type
the text in the brackets.

  Say I call you up on the telephone to send
you a message. (telnet mail.pil.net 25)

  This message is coming from my office.
  (HELO abingdon.brit.ca)

  This message is from trevor.
  (MAIL From: <tboicey@brit.ca>)

  It's a message for Kai.
  (RCPT To: <mowogmg@pil.net>)

   The message is "Kai is a bloody idiot".
  (DATA
   Kai is a bloody idiot.
   .
   )

   Thanks, that's the end of the transmission.
  (QUIT)

  If you do the telnet and type those commands,
you will send yourself an email.

   This is how email is transferred. What
you seem to be insisting is that somehow
my telephone call could get "lost" in the
phone system and would show up three
days later. Simply bollocks.

   I'm not going to speak the message into
the dial tone if you aren't there, and expect
it to be delivered automatically whenever you
get home again.

   If I call you and you aren't home, I'll queue
the message and try again later. That is why
email is delayed.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada