Re: Emissions Question

To: mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: Emissions Question
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 21:51:32 EDT
On Sat, 06 Sep 1997 21:09:14 EDT mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
writes:
>   Well let's see about that---- the twin carb Bs consistently deliver
>3-4 mpg better than the single Stromberg cars. How can a car burn that
>much more fuel and still deliver "cleaner air?"   To imply (or
>believe) that it does confounds reason.
>  The air pump simply dilutes the exhaust.  It is axiomatic in many
>circles that "the solution to pollution is dilution."  I don't believe
>in that argument.
  You are trying to apply logic to what is basically a government
mandated testing program.
  One must remember that the terms "logic" and "government" are mutually
exclusive.

>  If you have received Moss Motoring within the last few days, you
>will find a fascinating article about fuels, tailpipe emissions, and
>the "adjustments" to the observed CO and HC levels.
>  As the Bs that have air-injected heads suffer far more cracked heads
>than the standard ones, how can we work in an adjustment for the
>coke,coal,limestone,FE and all the other stuff that gets mined, burned
>and cooked to make the iron for replacement heads?

To carry it a bit further, where is the sense in deciding that your or my
MG must be replaced with a newer "effecient" automobile, when the
marginal polution in the manufacture of the replacement is many time
higher than the MG will produce in it's or our lifetime?
  So in one sense, by restoring and maintaining our cars, we can be said
to be reducing total polution, right? Hmm, maybe we shouldn't say
Restoring, but Recycling cars- More politcally correct.

>  Air pumps that are sensibly engineered to integrate with an engine
>designed with clean burning in mind, equipped with electronic
>controls, and sparkplugs that can fire lean mix at .040 gaps make
>sense.  In the case of the MGBs, they simply don't.

Outstanding point!