Re: Variable Idle

To: "Eric R. Stephen" <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca>,
Subject: Re: Variable Idle
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 01:02:13 -0400
Eric R. Stephen wrote:
> Back to the "idle" issue.  Would someone kindly suggest to this newbie
> where the liquid should be sprayed (intimate detail if possible).  In
> addition, it would be great to get some consensus on "volatile vs.
> non-volatile".

  I have used carb cleaner many times in the past
with no trouble. Works very well.

  Two caveats. One is that sometimes when you
get the leak, the idle goes up, sometimes it
goes down. Usually you can tell because the
car is idling smoothly and then suddenly isn't
and then is again. I guess up or down depends
on how much carb cleaner gets sucked in and
where.

  The other caveat is that all sprays also cool
what they touch. If you spray something on the intake
manifold, it cools the intake manifold as it
evaporates. This cooling can (and does on my car)
change the idle slightly.

 Luckily though, it's easy to tell the two
apart. The "cooling effect" changes seem to be
gentle, slight drop in idle, then a gradual
return to normal over 5-10 seconds.

  The "found the leak" sound is usually
violent, the engine will chirp or stumble or
jump for 1-2 seconds.

  Carb cleaner sprayed into the air
intake will stop the engine (and this is
the recommended procedure for using some
brands of it, spray till it dies, wait,
drive away).

--
Trevor Boicey