Goofy Starter Problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Goofy Starter Problems
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:05:42 -0500
Wiz74 was writing about his starter that only worked intermitently.  My
starter worked incessantly.

I was driving down I-20 at 80 mph (about 4200 rpm) when I took the Bovina
exit to pursue some backroads.  I stopped at the top of the exit ramp
and was amazed to hear a noise that sounded like my engine trying to
kill itself.

I pulled into the Bovina Texaco  and turned off the key.  However, the
engine continued to turn courtesy of the starter.  The white wire with
brown tracer had shorted out on the back opf the alternator and was
making the starter engage.  I wonder how long the starter was engaged at
4300 rpm?

I made a hasty repair (I had to - I was in Bovina Mississippi, there
were banjos in the background and Ned Beatty came crawling out of the
woods walking kinda funny) and took off.

I hope that never happens again.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu