Re: MGB Pedal Box Screws

To: Michael.Lytton@sierra.com
Subject: Re: MGB Pedal Box Screws
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Netters,

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 Michael.Lytton@sierra.com wrote:

=%O     Last night I removed the "pedal box" from my 1970 MGB - that's what I
=%O     think* the name is for the black metal cover that goes over the master
=%O     cylinders, right where the pedals hook to the cylinder plungers.

Did the same 2 months ago to replace my decrepit M.C. with a rebuilt.

=%O     Anyway, on my car the box was held on by three or four screws that
=%O     were slot head, and had very bad thread damage.

DanG! Mine were just hopelessly rusted and frozen in. Broke two Eze outs,
and a left handed thread drill to get the damn things out.

  It appears the PO or
=%O     perhaps a mechanic used the wrong size screws and just forced them in.
=%O

I have a bin of various size stainless steel fasteners- SAE fine thread
(compatible AFAIK with British standard Fine) that I visit when I need to
replace non torqued bolts on my MG. I think I used size 8 IIRC on the
pedal box. I also invested in Posidrive screw driver bits!

=%O     Anyone know what the correct screw size is to hold the pedal box in?
=%O     It appears the threads in the body of the car are still in decent
=%O     shape.
=%O
=%O     I'm a digest lurker, so I'd appreciate any responses to be sent to my
=%O     email address as well as the list.
=%O
=%O     Thanks!
=%O
=%O     Michael Lytton
=%O     1970 MGB
=%O     michael.lytton@sierra.com
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II