Causes of low oil pressure?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Causes of low oil pressure?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:38:11 +0000
Well, I'm picking up the 'B' from the shop tomorrow, after total
rebuild (everything new except rods/pistons, and the crank was
turned).  Prior to the main bearings giving up the ghost, I had
noticed my oil pressure was pretty lousy (12 psi idle, 45-50 at
highway speeds for the first hour, dropping thereafter.)  I had the
Vicky Brit high-volume oil pump put in, as well as the uprated
relief valve spring, so I should be in good shape.  I'm trying to
figure out what caused the low pressure to begin with.  The rocker
shaft was in good shape, but the cam was badly worn, at least on the
lobes.  The valve guides were worn, but I thought this only
contributed to oil consumption, not loss of pressure.
        I would like to find out what are the typical causes of a gradual
loss of oil pressure as an engine wears, and which of these are the
biggest contributors?
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner