Re: Suddenly Overheating

To: car@texas.net, vansyck@hq.1perscom.heidelberg.army.mil
Subject: Re: Suddenly Overheating
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:56:52 -0400 (EDT)
Jay,

     I'd start with the thermostat.  Your local Auto Zone should have one for
about $4.00 ( yep, I know it's not original but it sure is convenient-no I
don't work for Auto Zone).  Wthout surgery, you could try squeezing the upper
radiator hose when it overheats to sea if the thermostat is opening.  Better
yet grip the upper hose of your "cold" engined car until it warms up.  As
soon as you feel the coolant flowing through the hose, check the guage to get
a rough idea if it is opening at a proper time( a helper to watch the guage
might prevent you from overheating the engine in case the thermostat isn't
opening soon enough). You also might want to check the fan belt for looseness
and glazing. Good luck!

Tom Green
1979MGB