Re: Suddenly Overheating

To: Teacher122@aol.com
Subject: Re: Suddenly Overheating
From: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:49:46 -0400 (EDT)
        Unless the water was pouring out it wouldn't overheat in 2 miles.
Most thermostats are designed to "break" in the open position, this way
the car will under heat instead of over heat. I would suspect that the
first time it over heated it did so after loosing coolent over an extended
peroid of time. The second time it over heated was because the system
wasn't filled. I'm not sure what engine you have. Are you suppose to fill
it from the brass plug at the top? Try doing it this way, remove the
radiator hose at the thermostat and hold it up in the air then poor the
coolent down the hose. Keep pouring it until the coolent starts to come
out of the thermostat housing.Then reconnect the hose. By doing it this
way you will be assured that the coolent is in the block and everything is
full. It goes without saying to use antifreeze and water in the proper
ratio.
...Art