Re: Re new mini

To: hert@worldaccess.nl, MG digest submit <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Re new mini
From: Philip <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 97 18:31:58 +0100
On 12/9/97 9:00 am hert@worldaccess.nl said

>Aan 11-09-97 12:33, in bericht <873973913.1124136.3@[194.73.252.68]>, Philip
><mgworld@chp.ltd.uk> schreef:
>
>> I think the new Mini is a cop-out, as relevant to the 21st Century as the
>> new Beetle. Whatever happened to the radical Spiritual concept cars? It
>> looks hopelessly old-fashioned against the forward-thinking A-class and
>> Smart car. Issigonis wouldn't have approved.
>
>You may be right looking at the technology. The A-Mercedes is a totally
>different class BTW.
>My reaction to the new Mini was based on emotion: a great updated model of
>the car I first
>drove. That will apply to old beetle drivers too.
>
>> Rover avoided retro styling and technology with the MGF and came up with
>> with a bang-up-to-date design which has changed the way we think about
>> sports cars.
>
>Yes, it really absolutely certainly has changed the idea we think about
>sports cars. The F is
>fast, has a good engine in the middle of the car and is not too expensive
>so we buy a BMW.
>
>> BTW I wonder what the chances are of a Midget based on the Mini?
>
>It probably would look out-of-proportion like the Opel Tigra. And if it is
>any good, it will kill the F
>in sales.
I disagree. The MGF is a large, well-padded car with lots of comforts. A
new Midget should be a stripped down sportster along the lines of the
Lotus Elise (in my mind anyway)

>Actually I'm glad I do not have to make a choice for a new model sports
>car at this moment.
>The next family stationcar is difficult enough already...
>
>Good luck with the magazine, will it be available in Holland?
Thanks. Yes it will be distributed in Holland. Alternatively, order
direct through our website - see below.

>Peter
>74B that gets better every day

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk