Starting a rebuilt MGA 1500 (Continued) - Getting Oil Pressure

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Starting a rebuilt MGA 1500 (Continued) - Getting Oil Pressure
From: RatiganJ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 22:23:16 -0400 (EDT)
Fellow Listers...

     Recently I put a few postings to the list regarding the fact that I
could not get my starter to turn over my rebuilt MGA 1500.  Thanks to the
wisdom of the listers, I got past that problem and now, the starter will turn
over the engine rather easily.

     I now have the next challenge - getting oil pressure.  I am having some
trouble and thought I should ask for some help before going too far.

     When I rebuilt the engine (acutally had the short block professionally
rebuilt and I put on the assessories, such as the oil pump), I packed the new
oil pump with white lithium grease to hopefully aid in the priming.

     In my pursuit of oil pressure, I removed the plugs, and ran the starter
for a minute or so.  No oil pressure.  I then disconnected the hose that goes
to the oil pressure gauge and used a syrenge to put about a pint or so of oil
into the engine via this route.  I also pushed the car backwards in 4th gear
to try and get the oil pump to suck some oil.  Turned the engine over with
the starter for about a minute.  No oil pressure.

     I am a bit of a loss at this point.  Maybe I did not push the car
backwards far enough in fourth - I only went 10 or 20 feet.  Maybe I should
not have put lithium grease into the new oil pump when I put it into the
engine.

     Does anyone have any sugestions on things I should do or check?  I
really hate to pull off the pan and the oil pump if there are other things I
could check first.  Maybe my oil pressure relief valve is stuck open (how
that might happen, I do not know).

     Anyway, as one can see, I need help...

     Thanks in advance...

     Joe Ratigan
     58 Roadster that really wants to run, if it only could