Re: 1969 LOW oil pressure

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, Jamesjf@usa.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1969 LOW oil pressure
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 20:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Main bearings come in "undersizes" not
"oversizes."  Also,
one can not automatically assume that the standard bearing will be of the
correct size.  This is especially true of a car that is almost 30 years old
and has probably had the motor rebuilt at least twice.  I am currently
awaiting parts for my own rebuild.  In my case, I am rebuilding a 1979.  The
crank will require minimal machine work yet I had to order bearings that were
.020 under.  I'm not trying to complicate your life, but bearings that are
too loose will cause poor oil pressure-even new ones.  Although I've never
used it, you could use a product called Plastigage(available at all auto
parts stores) to check for excessive (or correct) clearance.  Alright
everybody chime in.

Tom Green
1979 MGB