MGA Temp. question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Temp. question
From: John Rogers <rogersj@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:02:13 -0500
I recently sent my oil press. / water temp. gauge for a rebuild (I
managed to use the starter solenoid to weld the sending tube shut.
Isn't that what the solenoid is really for :-( ?)  At any rate.. I
assumed that the temperature guage would be correct when I got it back.

While driving the other day (about 90+ here in Little Rock), the temp.
guage got up above 215 on the freeway which I should think is a little
warm.  What should I be running?  Around 200?  I retarded the timing
just a little so that now I am probably 3-4 degrees BTDC thinking that
that might be the cause of running hot.  The car still starts easily but
I can feel a little loss of response at higher RPM's.  Still hot after
adjustment according to the gauge.

So, back at the garage, I got out my handy dandy candy thermometer and
read the temp. at the filler neck of the radiator.  Guage (read from the
block) showed 212 - Candy thermometer (at the filler neck) says about
190.  Is the guage wrong or is there that much difference in temp.
between the top of the radiator and the block? I kept the engine running
while I took the measurements.

Previous to this saga, I installed a coolant recovery tank that should
theoretically keep the expansion tank on top of the radiator full.  Does
this do any good or is it just a waste of time?

If the guage is wrong maybe I should just not be so nervous.