RE: clunk, clank, clink and other assorted sounds

Subject: RE: clunk, clank, clink and other assorted sounds
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:55:00 -0700 (PDT)
Things that go clunk:
wheel spline on wire wheel car
Crossmember pads. 4 total located where the 4 huge bolts connect the
crossmember to the "frame", they rot fall out and the crossmember rocks on
the remaining rubber pads
shock links, lose bolts worn bushes
missing a arm bushes, they rot and fall out. replace with v8 bushes
worn kingpins, with front wheels off ground look for movement of the base of
the kingpin relative to the bottom of the swivel arm when pulling and
pushing on wheel

Thinks that go clank:
ujoints, shoould be no lateral play
Driver side motor mount, push engine towards passenger side and see if mount
plate separates from rubber block

Things that make a top rattle when down:
latches vibrate, you can try flipping them down flush with the header rail
crap in header rail. Drilled out rivets are rolling around in the header.
Remove top and frame and shake the rivets out the hole in the end. If there
is no hole make one about 3/8 inch
rivets on the frame have stretched causing the frame to rattle at ther
joints. You'd rattle at the joints too if you were that old.

Chris Reichle