RE: MGB erratic start

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGB erratic start
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
If you haven't done so already, replace the ground cable from the battery to
the frame.
Chris
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Subject: MGB erratic start
Date: Monday, September 15, 1997 10:20PM

Ok it's my turn.

My car is a 1969 MGB 12v negative ground.

Some times I turn the ignition key and nothing happens (red alternator
light goes on and dims as the key is turned to start but no click, no
crank, nothing.

Also sometimes it does click.  Most of the times it starts.

I have a new Lucas rebuilt starter and solenoid.  Newer main cable from
the battery to the starter.  I have cleaned and sanded the ends of all
the wires that connect to the starter and the connection area on the body
for the ground wire.  I have used cleaners on the wires and tightened all
the connections.  I have cleaned the terminals on the battery with one of
those little battery wire brushes and put the felt pads under the
terminals.  The battery is about 6 months old and appears to be ok.  The
battery will honk the horn even though the car won't crank (sure fire
check that the battery is good???).

I have cleaned both ground straps, one from the engine to the frame and
one from the transmission to the frame.

I attacked the ignition switch.  I couldn't actually get it apart but
used some special switch cleaner I bought at Radio Shack and gave it a
good squirt.  I put a meter on it an verified that in the start position
the brown wire was energized even though the starter did nothing (not
even a click).

I cleaned the connections the white wire, white w/red tracer wire, and
the brown wire make as they leave the ignition switch.

I'm also out of ideas.  Any thoughts out there?

P.S.    I just checked my  remote starter switch, you know the one with a
little button and two alligator clips, the one I have been using to help
trouble shoot this situation.  It turns out it's broken.  That doesn't
change the facts, but I guess I will have to get a new switch.

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas