Re: Kingpin Reaming and Pressing

To: Dick Watson <dwatson@feist.com>
Subject: Re: Kingpin Reaming and Pressing
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Dick Watson wrote:

> I've got the front end of my '68 Midget torn apart, cleaned up and ready
> to rebuild the front suspension. I've read several threads about
> reaming the swivel arms once (I believe) the bushings are pressed in.

Yes.

> My question is: How do I know that the machine shop has the proper
> reamer? I've looked in my manuals and have not seen any specifications
> on this. Will the machine shop know what I'm talking about and what
> reamer to use or do I have to make sure they have a special reamer made
> only for my Midget? (I think that is more than one question)

Go to a shop that is specialized in MGs and has the correct Spridget
reamer.  If you can't find one, send the the kingpins to Apple Hydraulics
to have them done.  I forgot how much this costs.  Don't have your shocks
rebuilt there though.  I have one out of five that still works after not
much use.  Ask Barney G. for more horror stories.

Do NOT have the kingpins reamed with anything but the correct tool no matter
what they tell you at Bubba's Machine Shop & Cat Declawing!

                                                           '67 Sprite