Re: Midget 5 Speed Gearbox

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Midget 5 Speed Gearbox
From: Glen Eldridge <glenel@total.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:11:22 -0400
Mark Endicott wrote:

> I talket to Bill Perry at Rivergate Restorations today regarding the
> Datsun 210 5 speed conversion for the Midget.  It sounds like a good
> idea to me.  Has anyone on the list done this mod and if so, what do you
> think about it?
>
> Mark
> 70 Midget
> Nashville

Mark et al.,

I've done the Datsun 5-speed conversion and it not only works, it works
well!  I bought a complete conversion kit from Mini-Mania in California;
the kit includes everything you need to mate the A block and the Datsun
tranny, including speedo cabling, etc..  It gives a list of parts you'll
need to get locally from a Nissan dealer or a junk yard, but I found
them readily available.  Also, you'll need to cut a slot in the bell
housing to fit the starter.  When the bits are fitted together & the
block mated to the trans, it's literally a drop-in installation.  Oh,
yes,  the kit includes a provision to modify the drive shaft & u-joints
so it really IS a drop-in installation.  I picked up a tranny at a junk
yard for CA$190 & the cost of the main & ancillary kits from Mini Mania
came to about US$600 altogether.

With the Datsun trans it gives a standard engine a higher and smoother
cruise & better fuel mileage.  I have a Swiftune Road Rocket fitted to
the Datsun trans & finally have the means to really use ALL the
available power in the Swiftune.

Good luck on your conversion - it's a lot of bang for your buck.

regards,

Glen
--
Glen Eldridge,17 Terra Nova Drive