Re: 1974 MGB O/D Drop-out

To: borisri@earthlink.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1974 MGB O/D Drop-out
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:38:11 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-16 21:02:57 EDT, borisri@earthlink.net writes:

>       • The overdrive engages normally.
>       • Functions OK until requiring moderate to hard accel, then kicks-out,
>      but re-
>         engages with steady speed.
>       • Functions fine at sustained speed or light accel.
>       • Recently changed the oil.

Rich:

My guess would be a faulty connection - when he accelerates, the engine rocks
over and the strain on the wire breaks the connection. When the car settles
back to a steady speed, the engine settles back to its original position, the
wire is again slack, and the connection is re-made. Or, possibly, the
permissive switch in the transmission is acting in the same manner - opening
on acceleration, and re-closing at steady speed. Or, it could be worse - the
wire is being shorted out during acceleration! If so, a quick fix is in
order.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74