tops & misc. ramblings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tops & misc. ramblings
From: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 97 23:01:30 EDT
in spite of the dismay of many list members concerning use of the
convertible top, i still need a new one.  on the _rare_ occasions that
the top does go up on my 73 b, i have a horrible time with it (it sat
stored behind the seat for many years prior to my purchase of the car--
needless to say, it shrunk...), and it looks like hell.  i've seen an ad
in hemmings for canvas tops from a company out of california called
caribou canvas for an unbelievably low price.  has anyone had any
experience with this company?  would anyone care to expand on the
advantages or disadvantages of canvas vs. vinyl?  any help would be
greatly appreciated.

BTW, it was a good day for getting mgb parts today.  my top frame broke
where the pivoting piece attaches to the header rail and i found a
small welding business to repair it for $20.  much better than having
to fork out $200 for a new frame.  stopped at a small import parts shop
up the street from there and picked up a brand-new grille, two new
sunvisors, and a shifter knob, all for $80.  they no longer get parts
for lbs's, therefore sell what random parts they have left for great
prices.  i had no clue when i stopped that i would wind up with such a
great deal, or that i would find all this stuff.  the only downside is
that i found out i'll have to get a new hood (bonnet) before the new
grille will fit--the lip of my current hood is dented and corresponds
with the dents in the curent grille.  oh well...   sorry so long winded-
-robert williford