"Better" parts -- was Silicone Brake Fluid

To: ckotting@iwaynet.net
Subject: "Better" parts -- was Silicone Brake Fluid
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:52:54 EDT
On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:16:41 -0400 Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
writes:

>barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord) wrote:
>>Or maybe the switches made 11 years ago were better than those made
more recently?

>.....  Then again, define "better".  Is an SU fuel pump with points
"better" than a more reliable one with an electro-optical trigger?

Could be either way.  I would never assign the term "better" to one or
the other.  They're in two different worlds for two different reasons.
Obviously, for originality the SU wins, while for driving reliability the
newer solid-state pump wins.  Then again, I suppose you already know that
I run a solid state fuel pump on my MGA, so my viewpoint is certainly a
little biased in a certain direction.

My reference to "better" was aimed at quality of workmanship on like
parts.  Like the original MGA triple chrome plated bumpers that made it
30 years with the original chrome and still looked decent, compared to
the current flash plated replacement pieces that start showing rust in
just a few years.  And the original shock absorbers that lasted 200,000
miles, compared to the rebuilt ones that can't make it 5000 miles without
leaking.  (OK, I haven't tried new ones yet).  And the list goes on, and
on, and on, and on, and ..... ..... ..... .....

Then there are a few parts today that are significantly better than the
original bits from decades ago.  Like batteries.  Although I still can't
figure out why no one makes a 6-volt battery with the same quality
technology as today's 12-volt batteries.  I'd still have two 6's in my
MGA if they weren't guaranteed crap out in four years or less.

 Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude