Re: MGB Front supension mods.

To: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>,
Subject: Re: MGB Front supension mods.
From: "Lewis" <wdlewis@wf.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:45:39 -0500

----------
> From: REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
> To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: RE: MGB Front supension mods.
> Date: Friday, September 19, 1997 2:10 PM
>

> Been there done that... The thump could be you bottoming out on the bump
> stop. You have reduced travel as a result of the shorter springs. To get
> that back you can purchase shorter bump stops. Making your shocks a litle

> stiffer might help too. Make sure that all the bolts are tight. When you
do
> that much work at once things can losen up on you as new parts break in
ie
> bushes, lockwashers compress etc. The next thing I would look at are the
> rubber pads that go between the crossmember assembly and frame where
those 4
> huge bolts are. Mine rotted and fell out allowing the crossmember to rock
on
> the remaining rubber pads. Gave a nice thump sound when I steped on the
> brake, went over bumps. When do you hear/feel this thump. Are you going
over
> a bump, pothole, dip in the road? At what speed? What else do you not
like
> about the front end? Some of these unfavorable characteristics may help
us
> diagnose the bigger problem.
>
> Chris Reichle
> creichle@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
>  ----------

Chris,

The crossmember pads could very well be the problem.  I'm been through
all of your good & valid suggestions already.  I'm not sure if 'thump' is
the right word though, I guess it's more of a 'thonk'.  Almost sounds like
metal on metal.  It occurs at any speed over parking lot speed.  It will do
it on smooth rolling type bumps/dips and REALLY do it when you hit a
pavement lip or even a smallish heave crack or pothole.  It's really
driving
me nuts.  It's hard to get out there and toss the car around when you think
your whole front end is going to fall off.

 One thing that I'm going to try is re-installing the valves in the stock
shocks
and try it without the Spax shocks.  That should  help me eliminate the
Spax hardware as part of the problem.  I learned a long time ago just to
do one change at a time on supension set-ups (road raced a Yamaha
TZ-250 for many years), but do I listen to myself?  Noooooo.........

Bill Lewis
'77B