Re: $300 cars/MGs on the Rocks/Who's going

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: $300 cars/MGs on the Rocks/Who's going
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 15:45:56 -0500 (CDT)
You wrote:
>Ay, but sometimes one can find a diamond in the rough.  My '74 had the

floors
>replaced, new fenders, a new paint job, rebuilt SU's, 73,000mi, and a
bad backfire.
>The PO wanted $500, I gave him $400.  He thought the timing chain was
broken.  Turned
>out to be bad spark plugs.  The car sat in a field for two years, and
needs a little
>bit of love and some rubber parts.  The owner didn't have the love,
and I had the
>money.  So, not all $400 MGB's are junk, or risks.  Of course, owning
a parts car
>helps too...
>--
>Michael S. Lishego

Right you are, Michael. Adam's 72 B was $200 dollars. I found it at a
car show with a sign saying "best offer by day's end takes it". It came
in on it's own power so I offered $200 and at the end of the day the
owner came over to me and congadulated me on my new purchase. BUT
THAT's NOT ALL! They delivered it the following day and in the trunk
was a brand new Tonneau and boot cover, The HIF 4s that were taken off
when they went to a Weber downdraft, a prefect spare, new uninstalled
interior carpet kit and a whole lot of tune-up parts.
I have put new King Pins, A Arms, V8 Bushings, Driver's side floor,
Brake hoses and tires (on some American Racing Wheels I picked up last
year) into this car so far which brings my total "into" number to
$1000. It still ain't much to look at but, then neither was my first
car. I'm looking forward to helping Adam shape this car up. Look for
us, Adam in his 72 and me in my 75, at MGs on the Rocks in Maryland
next weekend. Who else is going?
Safety Fast, David Deutsch