Re: Austin America

To: dresden@star.net
Subject: Re: Austin America
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 16:03:38 EDT
On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 01:29:28 -0500 dresden@star.net writes:
>>Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 01:27:35 -0500
>>To:MGMagnette@aol.com
>>From:dresden@star.net
>>Subject:Re: Austin America
>>e cheapest Automatic car in the US.    Get this... They are the ONLY
>>>automatic to be the the sump of the engine.  YES, thats right, they
>use the
>>>same hot, dirty, engine oil the engine does.  You have to change the
>oil and
>>>filter ever 1500 miles or you will be screwed.
>>>JOHN.... ADO16 FOREVER!
>>
>>John, I don't think they were the only cars to do that;some of the
>earlier
>>(1940's to early '50's) American cars with AT did that too (used the
>same
>>oil for engine and transmission). An old guy I worked with had a
>Dodge
>>coupe, I think, that worked the same way. Can anyone correct/verify
>that?
>>
>>Nevin

The first car I owned was a 1953 Dodge with the 241cid Hemi V-8. The
transmission was of the "semi-automatic" variety.  Two speeds, a clutch
and a fluid coupling.  The Tranny used engine oil which was circulated
from the engine, through the fluid coupling and into the tranny.  It
worked pretty good until I blew a tranny seal pulling into the school
parking lot.  It dumped so much oil down the middle of the lot that you
would have thought the Exxon Valdez had passed by.
 Needless to say the principal was not amused (most of my buddies were
though)

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget