Re: More "Grapes of Wrath" -Reply

To: wfme@mail.mc.net, peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu
Subject: Re: More "Grapes of Wrath" -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:43:45 -0400

>>> "Paul Hammarstedt" <wfme@mail.mc.net> 09/20/97 06:13pm >>>
A safer "grape" might be what I did when my pickup truck's fuel tank
rusted though.

Which reminded me of a repair I did many years ago.

I was working in a service station, when a VW Bug pulled up which was
leaking gas.  It turned out the gas tank had a pinhole rusted through
the bottom.  The head mechanic took a look at the car, at the cashless
students inside, and told me to do this.  Mixed up some epoxy, let it
harden a little, and smeared it on a sheet metal screw.  Rolled up my
sleeve and tightened the screw gently into the dripping pinhole.
Stopped the leak completely right there in the driveway.  I've always
wondered how long they went with that makeshift repair.

Years later, I drove through a big puddle in a Nissan.  The front wheel
found a pothole which went halfway to China, and I bottomed out the
oilpan, putting in a crease and a small hole.  I smeared some Orange
Permatex on a sheet metal screw and threaded it right into the hole.
Never bothered to do anything else, and it was fine until it went to the
junkyard after being rear-ended one day.