Engine weights/was how about a real V8!

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Engine weights/was how about a real V8!
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 16:45:12 -0500
At 04:28 PM 9/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>So, for about 55 pounds (avoirdupois, not Sterling), you can have 302 cubic
>inches, with a wide range of performance enhancers available at your
>neighborhood parts store (keep in mind, the BOP/Rover engine weighs less than
>the stock B, so the final configuration with the Ford would be about as
>stock). According to Ford Motorsports, the engine as used in my TR6 produces
>320 HP! Not exactly what one would call "measley," eh?

I want to be an open and trusting fellow, but 55 pounds sounds suspect.
Plus, what kinda bucks go into the Ford engine you've used as your example?
Plus, who really wants 320 HP in a TR6 or MGB without many more $$$ in
brakes and suspension. What does even 55 lbs do to handling when it's stuck
out over the front wheels like that?
 Mind, I don't mind engine swaps too much. And I have no "Brit Car Guy"
aversion to American iron -- seeing as how my Interceptor came with a
Chrysler 440. It's just that these 'simple' comparisons aren't always so
simple. Reminds me of the Monty Python lessons on building a bridge, "You
start on one side, and go all the way over to the other."
 There was a web site somewhere listing various engine weights. I'll have to
do some searching.

Michael, New Bern, NC
67 MGB
74 Jensen Interceptor, about 4000lb altogether, but 50/50 distribution.
S-III Land-Rover, oh yes, a Rover 3500 would fit nicely, but who wants 150+
horsepower in a Series Rover?