Corded Steering wheels

To: British-Cars-Pre-War@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Corded Steering wheels
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:42:20 -0700
Greetings all,

As the season nears for putting my TC away for the winter I'm contemplating
work for the long wait till spring.  I saw  a picture recently of a "corded"
Brooklands wheel on a vintage racer and thought it'd be the kind of thing I
could do in the house while sharing some quality time with the family (most
likey gathered around that infernal  tube).  Looks VERY nice too!

Anyone have any experience doing this? Got any recommendations on procedure
and/or material?  My wheel is not the Brooklands style, it's an original
factory type which, with it's wider spokes, may be a problem.  I'd like to
know how this wheel was originaly finished too.  Mine is currently a
severely scratched and chipped gloss black on the rim, hub and spokes with
the original (?) chrome bezel in the center.

Thanks,

  Ross MacPherson
 1947 MG-TC 3528
 1966 MGB-GT