Re: how about a real V8!

To: Teacher122@aol.com
Subject: Re: how about a real V8!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 16:50:14 -0400
Teacher122@aol.com wrote:
> A car that has been "tubbed" has the original inner rear fenders removed and
> replaced with very wide fenders(tubs) to accomodate Very Wide tires(usually
> racing slicks).
> Tom Green
> 1979 MGB

  Not necessarily, at least not the OUTSIDE fenders. Many
tubbed cars aren't any wider.

  The tubs are welded on the inside to allow the giant
tires to extend inwards. The other job that goes with
this is narrowing the rear end, to make up for the
fact that the tires and hubs are a foot apart
instead of four feet apart. ;>

  I beleive the word tub came from the fact that old
metal bathing tubs are just about right for the
job. I have seem 50 gallon drums used quite a bit
as well, it's funny to look in the hatch of these
cars and see the drum with the writing still
on it, like "McDonalds Corporation, 125kg of Pickles".

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada