MGs on the Rocks / WOW!!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGs on the Rocks / WOW!!!
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 08:10:10 -0500 (CDT)
It was almost the prefect day. Blue skys, some really nice people, a
nice selection of parts from the vendors and the CARS, 260+. I don't
want to try and pick the highlights of the show field but there were
some magnificent cars there.

Among the people I met from the list for the first time were Doug
Russel, Larry Macy (although I think we met briefly in Carlisle), Dan
"I will be out of the office" Hughes and a closet lurker Gene Fox,
who's daughter (a very atractive, fine young lady) was there along with
his absolutely stunning 74 1/2 BGT (1st place in GT class), Damask Red
with the Rubber Bumper in the same color. It was nice to see a
father/daughter enthusiast team on the field.

Amoung the usual cast of characters were, Rick Brown, Mike Robsen, Rich
Boris, Ian Pender, Bob Skillman. All great company to keep.

Ah, but alas, it was "almost the prefect day". Adam walked away empty
handed in the "Diamond in the Rough" catagory. I would not have minded
but the car that won was a pile of rust that will see a junk yard's
crusher  before a restoration shop. The fellow who owns it has been
driving it into the ground. Maybe it's just me but I think that awards
like this should go to someone who plans on improving and restoring the
car to a "Diamond" not someone who intentionally parks under a tree
with bird houses in it so it can look the most disgusting on the field
and clinch an award. Not to mention the guy was a local and my son's
car traveled 450 miles (and 4 quarts of oil)round trip from Long
Island. It was a sour note at the show and I know that all who voted
for Adam's car feel the same way.

The only other gripe I have is in regards to show sponsorship. Parts
Suppliers, Service Providers and auto related product venders are
always welcome and most times happy to donate a sample of there product
line, Tee Shirt, gift certificate, etc. and in return have a product
brochure included in the registration package. This is the right and
honorable way of advertising. A certain fellow out of Morrisville, PA
showed his true colors by walking the field and dropping his business
cards on the seat of the vehicles. This practice I consider littering.
The only flyers that should be dropped in cars at shows should be for
future events.

All in all it was a great day. Adam asures me that, although he was
disappointed about the award, his car will not be eligible next year
and is looking forward to showing next years show attenders his much
improved 72 B. I think I'll wake Eileen and se if I can get her to take
a ride in my B today. Maybe take in the show in Bethlahem, CT as
spectators for a change. Have a great Sunday and Safety Fast, David
Deutsch