Re: Bent "B" Bonnets

To: "Paul Hammarstedt" <wfme@mail.mc.net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bent "B" Bonnets
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 08:17:48 -0500
At 09:53 PM 9/27/97 +0000, you wrote:
>It arrived in a cheesy cardboard box.  Didn't notice shallow dent in
>the middle of it when it was delivered.  Complained to Moss, they
>returned the money for the part, but the shipping cost is a loss.
>They let me keep the bent hood so I figured I'd try to work with it.
>But that dang thing was a really bad fit on my car.  The aft edge by
>the windscreen wasn't right, the sides weren't right, and you just
>cant get the gaps right with it.

The aluminum bonnet on my 67B was the pits. When I called around checking
prices Moss was very straightforward with me about the fit of the nonOEM
bonnets. I found another bonnet local that was in somewhat better shape than
mine, and it was proper aluminum. A friend who is a body work guy took on
the challenge of massaging the aluminum into presentable shape with a
minimum of bondo. He has suggested filling the cavity with some sort of
'boat' foam to keep those bonnet-shutting dimples from reappearing (since I
probably willn't be the only person closing it) and I will always check to
be doubly sure that the silly thing is closed GOOD before driving off --
flyup on the aluminum hoods has got to be a leading cause of their demise.

Michael, New Bern, NC