Re: '70 MGB running rough above 3300rpm

To: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: '70 MGB running rough above 3300rpm
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:53:49 -0500
Lane Rollins wrote:

> Above about 3300rpm the B starts missing, if you pull out the choke it
> seems to run better. I'm assuming one of the jets is 'clogged' and that
> pulling the choke out causes the other carb to compensate for the one
> having the problem. Is this reasonable guess? Is there a way to tell wich
> is the problem child? Or don't be so cheap and replace both jets?

I'd spend some time looking for an intake manifold vacuum leak. I would guess
that a little choke enriches the mixture and compensates for pulling in too
much air from some other source. Throttle shafts and carb/intake gaskets are
the usual suspects.

It is possible that a single jet is clogged but that wouldn't be my first
guess.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Why did God make Harley riders smarter than horses? So they don't embarrass
themselves in parades (as often)."