Re: 5-speed Trans-midget?

To: Scotty <scotty@dove.net.au>
Subject: Re: 5-speed Trans-midget?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:49:16 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Scotty wrote:

> Hi All,
>          a friend asked if I could seek the wisdom of the "Midget
> afflicted" [No reference to Susans SO here] ;-)  concerning a suitable
> replacement gearbox for his M.G. Midget daily driver, the original box has
> been fixed twice this year and it sticks in second gear again! He wants to
> fit a gearbox that works; and if it has an overdrive 5th gear, so much the
> better.
>
> TIA
>
> Scotty,
> Adelaide,Oz.

Scotty,
here is what I wrote the last time the question came up.
I don't know if you can get the tranny in Oz., though.

I have the kit for the 78-82 Datsun 210 (not B210) from Bill Perry's
Rivergate Restoration Products.  It is a great kit with pretty much
everything you need and great (!) instructions.  It is around $475 incl
shipping.
The kit includes everything you need including a
new front yoke for your existing drive shaft.  Bill makes the yoke from
a Spridget yoke and a Datsun yoke, so he charges $65 core for the Datsun
one.  Make sure you get it with the tranny.

The kit is of high quality, it is cheap compared to other kits and it
doesn't require any major mods to the car.
Mini Mania sells this same kit for more money and they don't know anything
about it.

The only drawback I see is that with the supplied slave cylinder, the
clutch action is much shorter and heavier than stock.  You get used to it,
but a slave cylinder of larger ID could fix this too.

Tools needed:
2" hole saw (for a drill motor)
tubing cutter for 1" tubing
tubing cutter and flaring tool for hard clutch line
calipers

The only mod to the car is that you have to hammer up the heater duct that
the heater sits on top of.  Don't be shy and hammer a good bit in the
center, otherwise you won't get it in.  This does not effect your heating
and is not visible.

 You can email Bill Perry at
102335.2063@compuserve.com

Feel free to ask more questions,