Re: timing chain question

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: timing chain question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:11:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Rick Morrison wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:40:01 +0100 robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
> writes:
> >Hello again,
> >
> >Time for another question. :-)
> >
> >Is it possible to change the timing chain without removing the engine
> >from the car?  If I remove the radiator is there enough room to do
> >this
> >operation? Anyone done it this way?
> Yes, Partially,
>   After removing the Radiator, disconnect both front motor mounts, and
> jack the engine up enough to clear the frame cross member, which is just
> ahead of the crank damper. I've used a floor jack with a sturdy, wide (8"
> or so) to pad the jack, under the oil pan.  There is enough room to raise
> the engine suffecientlty to remove the damper and timing cover. After
> that it's a "piece of cake" (obligatory RAF content)
> Rick Morrison
> 72 MGBGT
> 74 Midget

Weeell, yes, if you can get the crank pulley nut loose.  On my car it
required a pneumatic impact driver to get it off.  But since the engine
has to be jacked up and the radiator out to do this, you can't just drive
over to a shop to have it loosened.  I happened to have a Ryder truck and
car trailer handy so we pushed the car onto the trailer and I had the shop
loosen the nut standing on the trailer, oh what a pain.

Recently, when I did it again, it came off using a long breaker bar.  But
then you run into the problem of having to keep the crank from turning.

All this and my car still has its original 30 year old, 120kmls timimg
chain and gears (I think).
So my valve timing is probably +/- 10 degrees :)

                                                           '67 Sprite