Re: timing chain question

To: robert@woozy.com
Subject: Re: timing chain question
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 14:54:11 EDT
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:40:01 +0100 robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
writes:
>Hello again,
>
>Time for another question. :-)
>
>Is it possible to change the timing chain without removing the engine
>from the car?  If I remove the radiator is there enough room to do
>this
>operation? Anyone done it this way?
Yes, Partially,
  After removing the Radiator, disconnect both front motor mounts, and
jack the engine up enough to clear the frame cross member, which is just
ahead of the crank damper. I've used a floor jack with a sturdy, wide (8"
or so) to pad the jack, under the oil pan.  There is enough room to raise
the engine suffecientlty to remove the damper and timing cover. After
that it's a "piece of cake" (obligatory RAF content)
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget