Re: parts to Canada

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Subject: Re: parts to Canada
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 09:41:05 -0400
Leckstein wrote:

>  Need some help. At the Binghampton GOF the YB starter quit. Mark and
> Heather Evenchick, had a spare.(from a midget, they fit TDs and YBs
> with a
> tiny bit of modification)  Now I need to send them a replacement.
> Problem
> is, they live in Ottawa. I don't want them to get stuck paying duty
> and tax
> on a starter that was really theirs in the first place. Any ideas?
> Should
> I ship USPS ?  The starter looks new. Should I put  dirty grease on
> it?
>
> Thanks, Mike

  Mike,

First off Don't ship UPS.  UPS does not function well in canada and
tends
to gouge the consumer on "Brokerage" Charges, a $10 tax and duty charge
quickly turns into a $150 bill for UPS handling the brokerage.  When I
lived
in canada I got so I would refuse to accept any shipments shipped via
UPS.
(Moss and Vic Brit really didn't like that!)

Second clearly mark the package as Antique Auto Parts.  I belive it's
customs
annex code 2441.  This means it's duty free. (But not GST free)  Or mark
it as
a gift value under $25.  (I think this now may be up to $50).  Ship by
fedex, dhl
or purilator or if it's not a real rush by post.  I've found that if
there was no duty
to be collected and the value wasn't high they wouldn't bother
collecting the GST
and the $5 collection fee.

Good Luck

Gary