Re: Identifying "B" Parts!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Montefrank@aol.com
Subject: Re: Identifying "B" Parts!
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@mailexcite.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 07:03:25 -0700
Marc,

The difference between the two exhaust manifolds
is the thickness of the mounting flange at the head.
Early manifolds had a thick flange, midyears had a
thin flange (or vice-versa, cant remember...)

Late B's have a single casting that combines both
manifolds into one lump. These are another kettle
of fish altogether.

WRT the early and midyear manifolds, if you use
the corresponding intake you will not have any
problems.  If you try to mix years, the mounting
ears of the I/E manifolds will not be in the same
plane:  this will become obvious when you try to
refit the cast donut washers, one of the manifolds
will flop around.

If you can't find the correct manifold, 5 minutes
with an angle grinder/dremmel/flat file will
solve the problem.  Just dont grind too much off.
If you have ever wondered what the blurb 'some hand
fitting' may be required in those MGB header ads
means...

The headpipe to manifold area is identical for
early and midyear types.  Remember when doing
exhaust work- brass nuts, anti-sieze compound and
Kroil are your best friends.

--Scott

Scott Hower -> howersl@mailexcite.com

73 MGB