Not Again!!!!! MGB disaster

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Not Again!!!!! MGB disaster
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:42:51 +0000
Well, Riqui and I left for Norfolk to begin our house-hunting trip
today.  1200 miles since full rebuild, first time on the highway,
since I've been breaking it in at varying speeds around town.  Going
about 65, temp between cold and normal, oil pressure at 55 psi, all's
right with the world.
        Then, we get on I-65, accelerate to 75, and a quiet knocking starts.
 Five seconds later, it turns into a loud knocking, and the oil
pressure has dropped to 12 psi.  DRAT!!!  Pull off the side of the
road, and get a flatbed to haul us 100 miles back home.
        Looks/sounds like I've burned another main bearing.  The rebuild
work is under warranty, but I forgot to ask if that covers parts AND
labor.
        Now for the fun question--Is this a fluke, or is my engine eating
main bearings?  the only thing I can think of is I have a pretty bad
suspension shimmy at 70mph.  Can enough vibration be transferred to
the crank from the driveline via the clutch to overload the main
bearings?  I wouldn't think so, but the last time the bearings went,
my wife had just pulled onto the highway about 10 miles previous, and
the situation was pretty much the same.  The knocking was a lot
louder this time, though.       Can anybody else think of what can cause
engine bearings to repeatedly fail?  I don't want to get in the habit
of rebuilding the engine every 1200 miles, and since I'm being
transferred to Norfolk the beginning of next month, I can't keep it
off the highway for the rest of my life!
Thanks,
        Scott