Re: K&N filters

To: mgs4dave@warwick.net
Subject: Re: K&N filters
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:01:25 EDT
Hi Dave,
  At one time I was using TF-type dry filters on my MkII with the 1.5"
carbs. They were just window screen.  I found that the paper element from
the air filter that fits 7hp Kohler tractor/lawn equipment/stationary
engines could be wrapped around the window screen and do a credible job
of filtering out dirt.  Cheap, easy. I went to an OEM filter when I could
find one.  See some approx year old issues of TSO for my tech tip and
some better ideas that followed.
  BTW, my guess on the black color of the oil is blowby, not air through
the filters turning it dark. Does your rocker cover vent get its air
through the filter?
  I would like to figure out how to install a paper element in the TD's
oil-bath cannister without damaging the cannister. Any ideas?
Bob