Carbs, etc....

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carbs, etc....
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:13:40 EDT
For next to nothing, I picked up a ZS manual choke carb of indeterminate
origin that appears to have the same mounting pattern as the ZS from my
'79 Midget; also this seems to be a 'non-smog' carb as it has no
additional fittings, settings, holes, or hoses.

The main differences between the two:

        The way that the accelerator cable attaches to the linkage.  On
this carb the fixed point is attached to the carb (appears to use a set
screw to attach the cable to the linkage), while on the Midget the
accelerator cable is fixed at the manifold and has a piece on the end
that slides into a slot on the linkage.

        This carb has a small plastic covered 'thingie' on the side that
mounts near the deceleration bypass valve.

My questions:

        Can anyone identify the carb for me (I'd include casting numbers,
but I don't have the carb here)?  I'm guessing it's from an early 70's
MGB as it seems like I seen a similar one an MGB at some dim point in the
past.

        Will this bolt to my Midget intake (after making appropriate
linkage changes, of course)?  If I did so, what problems/improvements
could I expect?

        What is the plastic thingie, anyway?

I already know that this isn't exactly the best carb in the world for use
on MGs, but I am saving my pennies and dimes until I can afford to
purchase a set of European SU's to toss on.

Thanks!

Rich