Re: Midget based on Honda Civic? Not actually true....

To: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Subject: Re: Midget based on Honda Civic? Not actually true....
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:38:14 -0500
David Knowles wrote:

> Larry & Janet wrote:
>
>  >>>Several years ago there was a new Midget based on the Honda Civic.
> At the time I thought "STUPID" then I thought It's an MG, get the placard
> in
> the consumers view. As far as I know they never delivered.
> <<<<
>
> As far as Austin Rover (as the company was known at the time) was
> concerned, there never was an MG Midget based upon the Honda Civic.
> Motor magazine ran a story with uncannily accurate sketches in January
> 1985, and said that these were of an MG Midget based on the Civic - but
> they weren't; the actual prototype (featured in my book) was a styling
> model, based upon the packaging of a proposed new Metro (Austin Rover's
> small hatchback) and developed in the Austin Rover Advanced Concept
> Studio. It was not a runner and was really just an ideas car - car
> companies build these all the time.

I don't what to get into a trivia contest with Mr. Knowles, especially
after all the subjective blather he's contributed on my beloved 'C', but I
think it was a Honda Civic, sold as a Triumph, and called an Aclaim.

But this is from the dark recesses of my brain where the 8 inch floppies
are archived.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The qualities of team players are most highly regarded by incompetent