Re: (NoMG) Digest

To: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Subject: Re: (NoMG) Digest
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:05:28 -0400
Gregory Kirk wrote:

> You think you're getting too much e-mail?  There are methods for
> dealting with this.... a) get the lists in digest form

  Actually, I find digests make the situation worse.

  It makes the mail less numerous in number, but of course
the volume is the same.

  The main complaint I have against the digest is that it
removes the ability to mass-delete threads. If you are subscribed
to the normal list, your mailreader sorts like messages together. If
you feel a topic is going somewhere you don't care about, you
can blow away a whole thread.

  With the digest, you have to keep seeing it as you scroll.

  My other complaint with the digest is that when you detect
that a post isn't something you care about, you have to scroll
over it to find the next one. I find it faster to just delete
which should reposition you at the top of the next mail.

  It's only a small time savings, but it's repeated hundreds
of times a day.