No oil pressure on initial start up.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: No oil pressure on initial start up.
From: EMPcoLWE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:55:40 -0400 (EDT)
Hi folks
You may remember that I was hunting parts for an o.d. trans to put into my
mga.
I've finally found the parts thanks to several list members, and now the
rebuilt engine and trans. are mounted in the car.

The subject line pretty much sums up the latest problem in what was supposed
to be a quick two week job except that I kept deciding to do "one more thing"
while I had everything apart ( I can hear some of you laughing as I write
this) and has turned into five months and kazillions of dollars worth of hair
pulling and cat cursing.

I'm guessing the machine shop didn't pack the oil pump so no oil pressure on
start up. I've tried pulling the metal union that connects the filter
mounting to the block (sorry, no manual for name references-curved metal none
flexible line that comes out next to the oil pressure outlet line, runs above
distributor and connects to aluminum housing for oil filter) and pumping oil
into what I hoped lead to the oil pump, as well as filling the filter with
oil. No oil pressure, no oil spurts out of the oil pressure connection in the
block if I disconnect the line either.
Questions:
1.Are there ways to prime the oil pump without pulling the engine/pan?
2.If pumping oil into the block is the right way to go, how much oil should
it take?
3.If the machine shop forgot the oil pressure relief valve and spring would
this cause zero oil pressure?
4.Will I ever drive my car again?
Thanks for any assistance. I know this was covered before, I couldn't
remember anything other than removing the oil "tube" and pumping oil down
there.

I'm on the digest, so feel free to e-mail me direct.
(I'm in a hurry to drive the car)
Thank you for any assistance!
Eric