Broke Spoke and Other Problems

To: "MGS List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Broke Spoke and Other Problems
From: Allan Hovis <hovisa@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 97 22:26:46 -0400
I need some help from some of you wire wheel experts. I have been
blissfully driving my 72B daily for the last four years with no wheel
problems except an occasional flat. Today as I was driving my usual
autopilot mode to work, all at once I took a curve and things felt very
weird. I thought maybe it was just a slick spot until I got to the next
curve and the same odd handling. I pulled over and took a quick look and
could not find any problems. I went on the remaining few miles to work
and took a close look and found a broken spoke on one of the front
wheels. My questions are:
1. Would this explain the strange handling or is that something else?
2. I ordered new spokes and nipples but just what is the procedure for
replacing them? Do I have to remove the tire or will the spoke come away
from the nipple end when I take it off?
3. Should I have ordered on of those special spoke wrenches for $50? What
else will work?
4. Once it is back together do I need to tighten the other spokes?
Several seem loose now but I think it may have to do with the one which
has broken as I never noticed any loose before.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am driving on a very slick
spare until I get this fixed!

Problem number two: I have noticed a noise from my transmission which
began about a week ago. It sounds like a metal bearing type of sound and
it will go away if I put some pressure on the shift lever. It is there in
all gears and seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Shifting seems
fine and oil is OK. Anyone "been there and done this one"?

Thanks for any help,

Allan R. Hovis
hovisa@mindspring.com

72 MGB (limping)