RE: Broke Spoke and Other Problems

To: <hovisa@mindspring.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Broke Spoke and Other Problems
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 23:24:47 -0400
Allan R. Hovis wrote:

> I need some help from some of you wire wheel experts. I have been
> blissfully driving my 72B daily for the last four years with no wheel
> problems except an occasional flat. Today as I was driving my usual
> autopilot mode to work, all at once I took a curve and things felt very
> weird. I thought maybe it was just a slick spot until I got to the next
> curve and the same odd handling. I pulled over and took a quick look
> and could not find any problems. I went on the remaining few miles to
> work and took a close look and found a broken spoke on one of the
> front wheels. My questions are:
>
> 1. Would this explain the strange handling or is that something else?

Well ... did the 'strange handling' disappear when you fit the spare? ;^)
If not ... then you have another problem which is putting undue strain
on the WW.

> 2. I ordered new spokes and nipples but just what is the procedure for
> replacing them? Do I have to remove the tire ...

... yep.  Check http://www.autox.team.net/sol/tech/truwire.html for a good
explanation of the process of replacing a spoke and 'truing' a WW.

> 3. Should I have ordered on of those special spoke wrenches for $50?
> What else will work?

... sorry ... I've always used a spoke wrench.

> 4. Once it is back together do I need to tighten the other spokes?
> Several seem loose now but I think it may have to do with the one which
> has broken as I never noticed any loose before.

See the above web page ...

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com