RE: Oil flow route in MGB engine?

Subject: RE: Oil flow route in MGB engine?
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 14:18:00 -0700 (PDT)
The Chilton manual for the B mentions that if there is a sudden loss in oil
pressure to check the relief valve for proper opperation leading one to
believe that the oil pressure sensor would, in common sense, be located
after the relief valve but before the first port. When the valve relieves
presure it bypasses oil back to the pan. It could malfunction and if it did
in a way as to allow the bypass at a lower pressure, would show a lower
pressure on the guage which you did see although this could also be due to
some other mechanical failure. The Bently manual may have a nice pic showing
the oil paths and directions but that's at home and I'm at work right now.
Even if your pressure relief valve malfunctioned, it sounds like you still
had enough presure to lubricate the engine. I would check for something
silly in the rebuild like assembly lubing the backs of the main bearings
which would blow your oil clearance or something like that.

Chris Reichle