Re: I think it's clutch time.....

To: bearrobin@juno.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: I think it's clutch time.....
From: Teacher122 <Teacher122@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:46:22 EDT
In a message dated 97-10-22 19:47:55 EDT, bearrobin@juno.com writes:

<<
 Well my 71 B won't shift into gear. A transmission shop said it is the
 disc the slave cylinder is working . What is involved in replacing the
 clutch. Since the engine bay is not detailed, I figured it might be a
 good time to pull the engine & transmission, and at the same time detail
 the engine and engine bay.

        When replacing the clutch, should I get a 3 piece clutch
 replacement kit (bearing, pressure plate & disc. Is a clutch alignment
 tool helpful?  The car burns about a qt of oil every 500 miles what can I
 do to improve this (rings?) What is involved in pulling the engine and
 transmission and what other services should be performed while the car is
 in this situation.

          Also before this happened, I could never down shift into 3rd
 gear without the gears grinding until I was at about 25 mph. Is this
 sound like a bad syncromesh gear? How much of a job is that to fix or
 should I just replace the transmission with one that has overdrive.
 Sounds's like I will not be bored this winter. Hey at least this did not
 happen on April 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 Barry Christ
 Western New York
 MG Car Club

Barry,

    Somehow, I feel that helping you will be a religious experience-sorry, I
couldn't help myself!
    Anyway, before you pull the engine, jack up the car, crawl under the right
side and have someone depress the clutch.  The rod will extend at least
approximately 1/2".  If it doesn't, you can suspect the hydraulic portion of
your clutch system.
     As far as replacing items while the engine is out, everything is fair
game.  I would definitely purchase the three piece clutch kit and clutch
alignment tool.  Also, a rear main seal, front trans input shaft seal,
throwout arm bushing(a new pilot shaft bushing might also be needed-but ask me
for advice if you decide to replace it!).  The oil pan gasket is much easier
to get to as well as the front cover and front main seal.  As far as the
transmission is concerned, it does sound like you are having problems with
your synchros.  If you can find an overdrive in good shape, that's an option!
Good Luck
Tom Green
1979 MGB with a Halloween Attitude